Monday, August 1, 2011

Putting Inspiration to Work


FYE Assignment:  Go through my pics, find my 20 or so favorites and copy them into an inspiration folder.  I had a good time with this exercise and learned a lot about what I do and don't like about my photography and even made a list of things I want to work on and another list of things I like and want to keep in mind as I'm out and about with my camera.  Hmm, go figure, I get an assignment to create a folder and I end up with lists!  Well, at least I got the folder done too. :-)

Next Assignment:  Pick a favorite/familiar image from the inspiration folder and go back and take 50 new shots of that subject.  I'll admit that the picture I selected (shown above) isn't my absolute favorite, but there are a lot of elements I like and I was excited to go back to visit the old barn and see what we might create together.  At first it felt like it would be difficult to get 50 different shots, but more than 150 shots later it turns out it was pretty easy.

Going through the pictures I discovered the shots the struck me the most this time around were the ones where I was shooting the barn through something; where it was partially obscured. 

This shot makes me want to see/know more about the barn in the background

not exactly hidden, but a bit obscured by the shadows and sloping field

more in the foreground than the original

This one is my favorite

6 comments:

  1. Yay! Permalink worked perfectly. And I'm not surprised that the inspiration file exercise just started to bring up more things, it's a great tool to start and will continue to be useful over time. Also fun to hear that you were able to easily get so many shots! Can't wait to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading how these exercises effect others taking the course. I can't wait to see those shots.
    P.S. I love barn shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. KC, I like all the barn photos you shared here, especially the last one. It really is fun to read how everyone experienced this exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a lot of elements in that photo that are beautiful and hard to catch - looks like you are either very patient or in the right place at the right time - it's such a serene scene. I love barns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting observation! Now that you have that in your mind, you can use that as a tool in future photo shoots. Great images, you'll have to take me to visit this place sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the reflections you've captured and the mystery in the last one is quite intriguing! "Partially obscured"~what a fascinating insight and way to describe things. Something I can now look for in my own images. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete